12 June, 2012

Controlling the uncontrollable.

This week, I finished my second year of university, packed my life into boxes (again), and moved back home for the summer. Other than discovering how many clothes I have accumulated, I also realised that the next time I move all my stuff back to uni may be the last. The last two years have zoomed by, and if they're anything to go by, I have no doubt that my third year will do the same.

After that, who knows where I'll end up. For now, I'm living in the hope that some sort of opportunity will reveal itself to me. I'm very much of the attitude that if it's meant to be, it will happen. If it doesn't happen, then it wasn't meant to. Something else will come along that I am better suited to, or that will test me and help me grow. Moving to university, I was surprised (and relatively comforted) to know that most people seem to be in the same boat.

One of my favourite bible passages is Ecclesiastes 3:1-15.
"But in the end, does it really make a difference what anyone does? I've had a good look at what God has given us to do - busywork, mostly. True, God made everything beautiful in itself and in its time - but he's left us in the dark, so we can never know what God is up to, whether he's coming or going. I've decided that there's nothing better to do than go ahead and have a good time and get the most we can out of life. That's it - eat, drink, and make the most of your job. It's God's gift.
I've also concluded that what God does, that's the way it's going to be, always. No addition, no subtraction. God's done it and that's it. That's so we'll quit asking questions and simply worship in holy fear. Whatever was, is. Whatever will be, is. That's how it always is with God." (Ecclesiastes 3:9-15, The Message Bible). 
The start of the passage talks about how there is a perfect time in life for everything. According to the second half, shown above, this is determined by God; not you or I, and there is nothing that we can do to interfere in that. If he doesn't want me in a particular job, he won't give it to me. I might not understand everything that happens, and yes, this is frustrating, especially if I'm sure it's the right thing, but I think it's about time that I accepted that God might have a different idea. Only by accepting this will I be able to live without worry about the future, trust that God has it all in hand, and just enjoy what he's given me here and now.

The other point that jumps at me from this passage is the fact that what we do is minuscule "busywork" to God. He could fix everything and reach the end result with a click of his fingers (or a lightning bolt or puff of smoke, however you want to imagine it), and yet he chooses to worry about and use me to do some of it for him. He knows what has happened, and what is coming next, and he fits me into that plan. Sometimes, I get the sense that I'm exactly where I'm meant to be. I've realised that this is just God reassuring me that I'm doing OK, which is always nice to know.

Even if you don't believe in a God, I think most people will admit that, sometimes, if things don't work out, it just might be for the better. Something even more incredible might come along, which you wouldn't have noticed, had you been preoccupied already. Opportunities arise when you least expect them. Sometimes going through something rubbish can teach you something new, which you will use later, or can change your attitude for the better.

Worrying about the future will not change it. I'm not saying just float through life; be sensible, use your common sense, have rough aims and goals, make choices that might benefit you, learn from struggles and mistakes. Ultimately, just enjoy it! Focusing too much on the future, which can change at the drop of a hat, might mean that you miss out on all that's happening right now. Sometimes the uncontrollable will happen and turn your perfectly formed plan upside down.

It might just be that the uncontrollable is the better option after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment