19 July, 2012

Sawubona!

Sawubona! (Hello!!)

Checking in from Ethembeni in Howick, South Africa! It's currently cold, which sounds abnormal, but it is winter here. Hopefully we'll get some more sun soon.

Whilst I've only been here a short while, I feel so welcome. Everyone at the family centre is so reliant on God, and so thankful. It seems like every second word in a prayer is siabonga (thank you). I definitely think this is something which I have learned so far.

I have also learnt about being humble. In particular, God has spoken to me through Philippians 2:1-11.
"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant...he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death - even death on a cross!" (Philippians 2:3-8, NIV)
Sometimes it feels like we're making so little difference in this community, as there is just so much to do and change; but then I look at the work that Ethembeni do as a whole, and I see just how important it is. The staff here see this all year round, and instead of being discouraged, they continue to work faithfully. If there is one thing I will take away from the past two weeks it is this.

I haven't really had much opportunity to write, but I intend to do a few posts about my time here when I come home :)

Until then, please continue praying that the work we're doing is meaningful, and for God, that we all stay safe and well, and that we can show the children and people we meet Jesus' love.

Much love! x

No comments:

Post a Comment