The year has zoomed by so quickly! I have since moved into and out of a flat, completed my final year of university, ran my own psychology experiment, tried to figure out what to do with my life, and now I am two weeks away from graduating in the beautiful Canterbury Cathedral. I'm in a very different position to where I was this time last year; I have been propelled into the real world, with no set plan for the next 12 months as of yet. So, instead, I find myself looking backwards.
It's so easy to get swept up in everyday life, without stopping to think about where you've come from.
Last summer I was so fortunate to be able to go and spend time in such a beautiful country, with such inspiring people at Ethembeni. It was an eye-opening experience, and I learnt a lot about the world's injustices and how much need there is. But I also saw how much difference and hope one initiative can bring. Delivering a parcel of food to one family affected by AIDS might be the difference between children growing up with or without a mother. Providing a place for one four year old to be fed and taught during the day gives that child a stronger foundation for starting school, and allows their mother to work, or in many cases, to finish school herself. It isn't hard; but it does require us to sit up and take notice.
At some point in the future, perhaps I will return to Ethembeni; but over the past year I've come to realise how much there is to be done on our own doorstep. And, quite frankly, I'm not always very good at doing it. I like to stay in my comfort zone, and whilst I love to help and care for people, I prefer it to be in familiar ways, easy ways even, on my terms.
I think, over the next year, this is something that God will be calling me up on. My experience in South Africa taught me so much about myself as a person; I can achieve things that are out of my comfort zone, and I should have confidence in this. Above everything, it also taught me to rely on God so much more. With him, absolutely anything is possible; he comforts and strengthens in what might seem like the most hopeless times and situations. Even now, whilst I don't really know where my life is headed, I feel safe and secure, and hopeful that he will put me exactly where he wants me.
"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God." (Corrie Ten Boom)"Ethembeni" means Place of Hope.
Hope is, without doubt, a word I have learnt the meaning of over the past year.
As I enter a new phase of my life, I am excited for what the next year might bring.
No comments:
Post a Comment