10 April, 2014

Dear Men of the World

I’d like to take a minute to talk about gender inequality. Because, no matter what you claim, men and women are not equal in our world today; and that is not okay.

Firstly, women are not objects, contrary to what we see on our TV screens, films, magazines, and not forgetting music videos. Ladies are reduced down to their body shape, as scantily clad women cover our media (sex sells, after all). In fact, these images are usually photo-shopped; the ‘ideal’ that we are fed isn’t even real. My question to you is ‘Why?’ What exactly is wrong with celebrating each and every beautiful woman exactly as they are? It seems crazy that women are given this entirely made up guide to how they should dress and look, and that men are taught that this is what is beautiful. This leads to all kinds of psychological problems, bullying, pressure, and a distorted view of ourselves and our value. Ladies – you are beautiful, just as you are. Fact.

Secondly, I’d like to turn to the role women take in society. I believe (and please do correct me if I’m wrong), that there are fewer women than men in high positions in politics, science, and business, to name a few important sectors. This isn’t a problem in and of itself, but I do think we need to look at why this might be. Are women being discriminated against in the application process? I am frustrated at reading news articles about women, who instead of simply being known by name, are referred to as “X’s wife” or “mother of three”. It irritates me that a lot of material from female comedians seems to draw on the “blonde bimbo” stereotype, or relates to sex (we have brains as well, you know). Song lyrics often portray women as things to be won, and don’t even get me started on FGM and sex trafficking. In some countries, girls still do not have access to education and are forced to marry as soon as they hit puberty, before their bodies can even handle pregnancy. This is not okay.

I am beeped at as I walk down the street, and I constantly overhear snippets of laddish ‘banter’, if you like, which is degrading and insulting. Rape jokes are not funny, and “you’re such a girl” is not a legitimate insult. It isn’t okay that I don’t always feel safe walking home at night by myself, because I’m female; it definitely isn’t okay that we’re still talking about what the victim was wearing. And, by the way, if I choose to have a career, and not to have children (or to have a career and to have children for that matter), that is my choice, and I don’t think I should have to justify it.

However, I think it’s also important to see the other side. In light of this, I would like to apologise, because men have it hard too, and at the minute, I don’t think it’s noticed enough.

I’m sorry that we objectify you in much the same way as some of you do to us. I will admit that I have referred to celebrities as “hot”, and sometimes vocalised it because I can get away with it. We obsess over and idolise TV stars and musicians over social networking sites (tumblr, anyone?). Our magazines are covered with pictures of (often topless and, once again, photo-shopped) men. I’m sorry that we build up this idea of our “perfect guy”, which gives you such a high standard to live up to. We don’t see you, just as you are, and all the amazing qualities that you bring. How is this any better?

To be male is often seen as to be tough. To be strong. Culture puts so much pressure on you to ‘man up’, that, I would imagine, anything less feels like you’ve come up short. It makes me angry that men feel so much shame in reporting domestic violence or rape, and that there is so much stigma surrounding eating disorders in men. I’m sorry that our society has made it so hard for you to ask for help and express your emotions, especially in such important scenarios.

It’s wrong that there is so much pressure on men to be sexually active from a young age, in particular through pornography. The statistics of teenagers viewing porn is shocking. If this is what men are brought up on, then how on earth can we expect them to treat women any differently to what they are seeing here? Why are we surprised when we find men imitating that which they’ve grown up viewing?

I’m sorry that I am not even aware of enough material to apologise for to write a balanced letter.

I’m sorry that we’ve tarred you all with the same brush.

I have made some sweeping generalisations here, and I realise that I have barely scratched the surface when it comes to gender and identity. But I just wanted to draw attention to how we, as men and women, treat each other. It shouldn’t be one rule for us, another for them!

It’s time we learnt to respect each other. And I mean, really respect each other, as individuals and not as objects. To speak to, and about, each other as we would like to be spoken about. To honour each other in every sphere of our lives, from work through to relationships. It’s not complicated, but to ingrain this into the very fabric of our being is a huge task. It will take time, and I for one will get it wrong sometimes – bear with me, I’m trying!

This is just my opinion – where do you stand?

No comments:

Post a Comment